Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 06:50:20 +0100
From:      Thierry Herbelot <herbelot@cybercable.fr>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   recent 3.4 and netscape ?

Hello,

I've installed on the second disk of this machine the latest 3.4
snpashot, then installed cvsup and updated the sources to -Stable, then
rebuilt the world and a new kernel, and finally compiled and installed
the latest Xfree86 (3.3.6)

Thus, I should have a very recent -Stable.

But I can't install and run netscape : (there follows an install
attempt)
tfh# make install
===>  Extracting for netscape-communicator-4.7
>> Checksum OK for communicator-v47-export.x86-unknown-freebsd.tar.gz.
===>   netscape-communicator-4.7 depends on shared library: X11.6 -
found
You can make Netscape use 128-bit encryption by defining USE_128BIT
===>  Patching for netscape-communicator-4.7
===>   Ignoring empty patch directory
===>   Perhaps you forgot the -P flag to cvs co or update?
===>  Configuring for netscape-communicator-4.7
===>  Installing for netscape-communicator-4.7
===>   netscape-communicator-4.7 depends on shared library: X11.6 -
found
Couldn't open /usr/libexec/ld.so.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
tfh#
tfh# uname -a
FreeBSD tfh.herbelot.nom 3.4-STABLE FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE #0: Sun Jan 16
23:53:58 C
ET 2000
thierry.herbelot@tfh.herbelot.nom:/usr/src/sys/compile/TFH_34  i386
tfh#
tfh# pkg_info
Mesa-3.0            A graphics library similar to SGI's OpenGL
XFree86-3.3.6       X11R6.3/XFree86 core distribution
bzip2-0.9.5d        A block-sorting file compressor
cvsup-16.1          A general network file distribution system optimized
for CVS
gettext-0.10.35     GNU gettext package
giflib-4.1.0        Tools and library routines for working with GIF
images
gmake-3.78.1        GNU version of 'make' utility
jpeg-6b             IJG's jpeg compression utilities
kdelibs-1.1.2       Support libraries for the KDE integrated X11 desktop
libtool-1.3.3       Generic shared library support script
modula-3-3.6        Modula-3 compiler and libraries from DEC Systems
Research Ce
modula-3-lib-3.6    The shared libraries needed for executing Modula-3
programs
png-1.0.5           Library for manipulating PNG images
qt-1.42             A C++ X GUI toolkit
tiff-3.5.4          Tools and library routines for working with TIFF
images
xpm-3.4k            The X Pixmap library
tfh#

I know netscape is still aout, so I may have forgotten to recompile the
aout support tools in the new world I've built - but I'd like to know
for sure.

	Thanks in advance for any help

	TfH