Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 20:43:08 +0300 (EEST)
From:      "Al. Andreou" <ee4299@ee.teiath.gr>
To:        Maxim Mazurok <maxim@km.ua>
Cc:        <freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: booting on Ultra AX fail

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Maxim Mazurok wrote:
> Manual root filesystem specification:
>                        eg. ufs:da0a
>   ?                  List valid disk boot devices
>   <empty line>       Abort manual input
>
> mountroot>
> panic: Root mount failed, startup aborted.
>
> Where is my mistake?

In the mountroot> prompt you are supposed to provide the kernel
with a partition to consider as its root partition.

You should use the partition on the CDROM as your root (on an
Ultra 5 today it worked it out by itself). You should enter:

mountroot> cd9660:acd0a

It should proceed normally from there on.

Irrelevant note:
today I discovered and installed the sparc port :-) . I have
kept what I consider a helpfull extension of INSTALL.txt in
http://nemesis.ee.teiath.gr/~ee4299/files/freebsd/installation-steps.txt
In the same directory lies a copy of the bzipped ISO image
for anyone interested :-) .

--
"to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and
let every woman have her own husband. . . it is better to