Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 08:58:14 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@nebula.tbe.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HP-9122C 1024-byte sectored floppies

Intersting problem popped up this afternoon. Need to copy floppies used
in an HP-9122C configured as an automatic test station. Any ideas? Best
I can tell they are 3.5" "low density" (not 1.44M) with 1024 byte
sectors. Don't know if 1-side or 2-side. People who operate the machine
don't know how to copy floppies. Prior generations didn't document it,
but did proceed to lose the manuals.

Looking at "man fdc" and "man fdformat" I see support for 128, 256, and
512 byte sectors. Attempts to read this floppy under FreeBSD failed.
SGI's Irix was able to read it (with dd) but so far I don't have a clue
as to formatting a new blank. Does PC hardware support 1024 byte
sectors? Could I simply hack it into my kernel and fdformat?

dd on Irix read about 400k off one floppy, 600k off another. Browsing
the raw data it appears I did get real data off the disk. Have no need
to make sense of the data, only want to dup the disks.

Don't have access to a generic HP system. This one is hard wired and
the floppies are coded as a dedicated test station of some sort.

A FreeBSD solution would be nice. A DOS solution would be acceptable.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@nebula.tbe.com