Date:      Fri, 29 Jul 2005 11:34:30 +0200
From:      "Norbert Koch" <NKoch@demig.de>
To:        "=?iso-8859-1?B?RXJpayBOw7hyZ2FhcmQ=?=" <norgaard@math.ku.dk>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Dead disk? READ_DMA Failure

> I have a one year old Hitachi Travelstar 60GB/4200RPM disk. This
> night and since then, I get these errors:
>
> ad0: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=48926527
> ad0: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA=48926527
> ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA timed out
>
> or
>
> ad0: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=50299455
> ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
>     error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=50299455
>
> The LBA number varies, but otherwise it is consistent. Eventually
> the device is removed from /dev and no disk is accessible,
> although mount shows mounted devices.
>
> I have booted in single user mode and run fsck manually multiple
> times to correct all found errors, most errors are on /, /usr and
> some on /var, yet the problem reappears.
>
> I have tried to reinstall, toggling newfs to recreate /, /usr and
> /var hoping that any bad blocks or sectors would be removed or
> marked unusable. But the problem remains.
>
> Is there a way I can reformat or fix the disk so that broken areas
> will not be used again?
>
> Please, how far from the grave are my data?
>
> Any suggestion on which new drive to choose? I have looked at
> Western Digital Scorpio WD600VE 60 GB.
>
> Given the mentioned error, does this indicate an error that would
> be covered by standard guarantee? after all the disk is just one
> year old...
>
> The system: FreeBSD 5.4, Epia Mini-ITX CL1000, 256MB RAM, 60 GB
> HDD.

Hello,
I've seen these error messages too. And also WRITE_DMA TIMEOUT!
You may have a hardware problem, but I'm not convinced.
I had these messages on _new_ computers from time to
time. After updating from 5.2 to 5.3, 5.4 it seems to have gone for
me. But that's obviously not the case for you. I've read on a list to
try to disable acpi, but that does not help. A collegue of mine sees
this even with his dvd! I've had it with a plain ata drive (maxtor) using
udma100 and with a promise ata raid controller (wd drives) at udma66.
All _new_ hardware!
I can't tell you if it is some 5.X specific problem. But the systems
I am running under 4.11 never had these problems.

Is there someone on this list with similar experiences?

Norbert