Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 13:14:25 -0500
From:      postroad <postroad@mediaone.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   dns resolver questions

--MS_Mac_OE_3065174065_1673849_MIME_Part

Mike Meyer writes:
> Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com> types:
> > >the system doesn't seem to know where to direct dns requests.
> > man resolv.conf
>
> If you're using a dynamic IP address, you may want to check with your
> ISP, and see if they are providing the name server addresses via
> DHCP. If so, you need to check the dhcp setup.

If he is using dhclient (which is the stock FreeBSD DHCP) then he can
see what info the ISP is providing by reading /var/db/dhclient.leases

Nope. I'm set up with static IP on a private network behind a router running
NAT. The router is running DHCP client for it's WAN information. It is using
port forwarding as follows;

80:192.168.1.80
21-24: 192.168.1.80

This allows originating requests from the outside to get passed to the
apache etc...(You probably know how NAT works (_?_)

IP&sub of FreeBSD       192.168.1.80/24
gateway of freebsd      192.168.1.1 (router via, "route add default
192.168.1.1")

TCP routing works fine. I can see my apache web servers from the net abroad.
Oddly enough I don't have resolve.conf in /etc. I have the list of name
servers from my ISP. Don't worry about bothering me with details, I'm pretty
ignorant.

--MS_Mac_OE_3065174065_1673849_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>dns resolver questions</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<TT>Mike Meyer writes:<BR>
&gt; Len Conrad &lt;<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>LConrad@Go2France.com</U></FON=
T>&gt; types:<BR>
&gt; &gt; &gt;the system doesn't seem to know where to direct dns requests.=
<BR>
&gt; &gt; man resolv.conf<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; If you're using a dynamic IP address, you may want to check with your<=

&gt; ISP, and see if they are providing the name server addresses via<BR>
&gt; DHCP. If so, you need to check the dhcp setup.<BR>
<BR>
If he is using dhclient (which is the stock FreeBSD DHCP) then he can <BR>
see what info the ISP is providing by reading /var/db/dhclient.leases<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Nope. I'm set up with static IP on a private network behind a router runnin=
g NAT. The router is running DHCP client for it's WAN information. It is usi=
ng port forwarding as follows;<BR>
<BR>
80:192.168.1.80<BR>
21-24: 192.168.1.80<BR>
<BR>
This allows originating requests from the outside to get passed to the apac=
he etc...(You probably know how NAT works (_?_)<BR>
<BR>
IP&amp;sub of FreeBSD &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;192.168.1.80/24<B=

gateway of freebsd &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;192.168.1.1 (router via, &=
quot;route add default 192.168.1.1&quot;)<BR>
<BR>
TCP routing works fine. I can see my apache web servers from the net abroad=
. Oddly enough I don't have resolve.conf in /etc. I have the list of name se=
rvers from my ISP. Don't worry about bothering me with details, I'm pretty i=
gnorant.<BR>
<BR>
</TT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3065174065_1673849_MIME_Part--