Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 2002 07:43:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Adam Migus" <adam@migus.org>
To:        <current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   nullfs/unionfs

Recently I've been doing some twisted things with
nullfs/unionfs.  I've managed to contain myself to using
read-only nullfs, but, the whole point of the unionfs usage is
to isolate changes (ie. I need read-write).  Anyway I've hit a
VFS bug that upon reading current@, appears as though it might
be related to the bug involving vnode backed md's.
I just discovered the bug and know no more about it than what
has been discussed
in the related post.  The only thing I can add is that when it
happens to me, a shutdown of the system results in a panic due
to an invalid ref count on the problematic vnode.  The count
goes negative.  When the system comes back up, an fsck shows
every inode in sequence from the bad one as unreferenced.
I read the man pages for nullfs/unionfs.  They mentioned that
the code is orphaned and buggy.  So, I blamed it, and
entertained the idea of claiming ownership, now, or in future.
Right now I sit somewhere in the middle of the (IMHO) rather
steep VFS learning curve.  Therefor even if I did sit down and
attempt to track it I'd likely have limited success and if I
found the bug, it'd probably be nowhere near nullfs/unionfs...
In summary, two things.  First WRT the nullfs/unionfs.  I'd like
to use it as I've tried to thus far.  So I have an intrinsic
motivation to get it fixed.  Seems as though others do as well
(assuming it's the same bug).  So I think I'll have a go at it,
but won't promise results as I'm not a VFS guru.  Second, if
anyone expresses interest in ownership of the nullfs/unionfs
code, I'd like to work with them.  If no one does and someone
wants me to, I may, but at a later date when I'm more
comfortable doing so.  Third, if someone else attempts to
find/fix the bug, consider me an interested.

--
Adam Migus (adam@migus.org) (amigus@TrustedBSD.org)
TrustedBSD (http://www.trustedbsd.org) | The Power To Secure