Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 2003 22:18:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        netprince@vt.edu
Cc:        vev@michvhf.com, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wi in hostap mode causes panic near linksys router

In message: <004301c2b9f9$55ef3310$6511a8c0@benspiece>
            "Ben Pfountz" <netprince@vt.edu> writes:
: Hey, thanks for the info Warner,
:
: To make things simpler for testing, I have followed your advice and removed
: all the fluf.  I used this command to start the hostap mode on the card:
:
: /sbin/ifconfig wi0 ssid princenet \
:   channel 1 media DS/11Mbps mediaopt hostap debug up
: /sbin/sysctl net.link.ether.bridge_cfg="wi0 fxp0"
: /sbin/sysctl net.link.ether.bridge=1
:
: Unfortunatly, the system still panics and reboots.

Can you build a kernel with debug?

: I still feel strongly that this is caused by my neighbor's linksys access
: point somehow.  This is because the config I posted in my first message
: worked great for days when I was at home and out of town over the break.  At
: home I was in range of my brother's D-Link wireless router (running wep),
: and I had no problems.  Away I was out of range of all other wireless
: devices.  Now back at school, I am in range of this Linksys wireless router
: (not running wep) and without a doubt within a few minutes of enabling
: hostap mode, it panics.  I dont even have any clients connected, dont even
: get that far.

You are the second person to mention this.  I've run in a similar
setups before, but only by accident..

: The only thing I could think of is the Linksys AP must be sending some sort
: of invalid or unknown broadcast which causes something here to go haywire
: and cause a panic.
:
: Any other thoughts?  Anything else I can do or try?

Without knowing what the panic is, it is hard to know what to do about
it.

Warner