Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 01:45:04 -0800
From:      Shawn Ramsey <shawn@megadeth.org>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>, Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Long User name problem

> username.
> problems adding?
> > >
> > > Yeah, well, thats the problem. :) We have other systems that work
> just fine
> > > with long user names. One particular system does not. What exactly do
> you
> > > want me to show you?
> > >
> > Please fix any line breaks or obvious errors:
> >
> > echo 'bobbyjoelongname::62424:62424::0:0:Bigass \
> > Username:/nonexistent:/bin/csh' >> /etc/master.passwd
> > pwd_mkdb /etc/master.passwd
> > su bobbyjoelongname
> > whoami
> > who
> > exit
> > last | head -1

Well, crap. It appears LOGINS work. I swear it didn't when I posted that
message. Oh well. The main problem seems to be FTP logins to not work. If I
change it to the standard FTP server it does, but wu-ftpd which is the FTP
we use does not. I guess I should try recompiling wu-ftpd first, and go
from there. The cd command also does not work suchj as cd
~longusernamehere. Email with long user names seem to be working ok.