Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 2006 15:37:56 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Trix Farrar <trix@basement.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/lib/libxpg4.so.3 missing - Did I miss a memo?

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 02:02:17PM -0600, Trix Farrar wrote:
> On my network, I have several hosts that were originally installed with
> FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE, 5.3-RELEASE, and 5.4-RELEASE.  All of these have
> been updated now to 6.0-RELEASE-p4.  One host was originally installed
> from 6.0-RELEASE media and subsequently updated to p4.  All works well.
>=20
> I took a cue from The FreeBSD Handbook; 21.5 Tracking for Multiple
> Machines, and have a central build host for the network.  On this
> machine, I do my make buildworld, make buildkernel and building of
> packages to ports.  That way I can just install port packages on the
> non-build machine.

If you do this, you need to make sure you're generating compatible
binaries.  In this case, you seem to be generating binaries that are
targetted for an older release than FreeBSD 6.0.  In order to run 5.x
binaries on FreeBSD 6.0, you need to install the compat5x port and
build with the corresponding kernel option.

> * How can I know whether or not it is save to delete libxpg4.a,
> libxpg4.so, libxpg4.so.3, and libxpg4_p.a from /usr/lib on the machines
> where they are present?

Use the libchk port.

> * Why would bacula (or anything else, for that matter) even try to link
> to this library in the first place?  (Ok, I'll admit that I'm being lazy
> on this one because I haven't really researched it yet)

I'm guessing you are running an old 5.x binary from before the
removal.  A 6.0 binary of bacula indeed will not try to link to this
nonexistent library.

Kris

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW--