Date:      Sun, 26 Dec 1999 11:58:26 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Jerry Alexandratos <darkstar@udel.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OSS and -current

> I'm trying to get the latest version of OSS (3.9.3a) working under
> -current and having very little success.
>
> When I try running soundconf, I get the following messages:
>
> kldload: can't load /usr/opt/oss/oss_mod: Exec format error
> Cannot load OSS driver module.
>
> Dec 25 21:02:46 hellboy /kernel: link_elf: symbol register_intr undefined
>
> This is with a kernel and world built 1999-12-24 and sources cvsup'ed
> prior to that.
>
> Any ideas one what could be wrong here?

This is something I cautioned the OSS folks about a while back.  Because
they maintain their code for a large number of platforms, they use their
own probe/attach infrastructure rather than the host operating system's
bus support.  Because of that, and in the FreeBSD case because they've
been supporting 2.2.x and 3.x for a long time, they've been using the old
compatibility interfaces (this is just simple expediency, and not
something to chastise them for).

In this case, register_intr() was one of those interfaces, and it's gone
away.  I'm expecting that we're going to have to spend some time very
soon helping the OSS folks get their code up to speed for 4.x.  In the
meantime, however, people on the 4.x branch are going to have to live
without OSS.