Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2018 13:32:03 +1000
From:      Kubilay Kocak <koobs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Franco Fichtner <franco@lastsummer.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>, Guido Falsi <madpilot@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: net/ntopng: version jump by an order of magnitude

On 20/09/2018 6:40 am, Franco Fichtner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Small question:
>
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports/commit/0585180d
>
> ... has a typo in the version number which was an ISO date
> originally.  Are we using this new date format now or is there
> going to be a PORTEPOCH amendment?

Up to the maintainer ultimately.

To avoid PORTEPOCH, either the typo'd datestamp scheme (0XX for month)
would need to continue until 3.7, or an alternate scheme created that is
both meaningful and > than (pkg version -t old new) the current value.

Or fix the typo and add PORTEPOCH.

Personally, I'd go the first option as it's only a minor typo that
doesn't affect ongoing existing-scheme version updates, and is the more
transient of the two (PORTEPOCH lives forever, bad scheme only lasts
till 3.7).