Date:      Sat, 4 Dec 1999 23:15:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        whitehat@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bash shell

On Sat, 4 Dec 1999 whitehat@home.com wrote:

> Hello, I recently did a floppy-disk installation of FreeBSD Release 3.3,
> and I want to install the Bash shell package(I cannot stand csh)
> Anyways, I went to the freebsd FTP site, looked under "packages",than
> "shells", than I downloaded the newest version of the bash shell.  Well,
> when I did a "/stand/sysinstall", and went to packages, there was no
> listing for shells! What happened? Is the index file missing things? I
> have the bash installation files on disk...how would I mount my disk and
> read it in FreeBSD? I tried "mount /fd0" and "mount /dev/fd0" but they
> both dont work.  Can someone please help?
>
> Jon

I've always had a shells category in packages, but I'm not sure
what an install from floppy does in this regard.

Anyway, once you download the bash package file (bash*.tgz, or
whatever) you can go to the directory where it resides and type
pkg_add bash<whatever> and it will be added, with bash in
/usr/local/bin.

You can mount your floppy drive with
mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
if it's an msdos-formatted disk.

The guide for newusers, which you can find on the web page, will
help with other routine matters, as well the FAQ and the handbook.
They are available as well on the web page, as are man pages.

Annelise