Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:54:09 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: High Load cron patches - comments?

Kevin Day wrote:

> I talked briefly about this with Paul Vixie (cron's author), while we had
> differing ideas about how to accomplish this, my patches have been running
> for over a month now on a production system, and have worked very well.
>
> [...]
>
> Paul's idea was to limit the number of children cron has running at a time,
> hwoever for me this wasn't effective, as the user's jobs tend to hang around
> for a long time.
>
> Can I get comments/suggestions about this?

Commenting on the approach, rather than your implemenation:

Wouldn't it be cleaner to limit it by load average rather than number of
jobs?  This would tend to allow small, one-shot cron entries that really
don't eat a lot of resources to continue running on time, while saving
the machine from the monster processes.

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                     +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                  wes@softweyr.com