Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:43:27 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <darren.pilgrim@bitfreak.org>
To:        Francisco Reyes <lists@stringsutils.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat List <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Anyone ever tried experts-exchange for freebsd questions?

Francisco Reyes wrote:
> Was just looking at some of the questions people post on that service.
>
> However can't see the solutions.. anyone using that service or anything
> like it for FreeBSD?

Nope to both.  The first because they don't offer a free demo period, so
I can't verify their claims of exclusive knowledge without giving them
money.  The second because unlike certain other OSes, 99.99% of the
documentation I need is either in Google's database or not in existence.

In 8 years of using FreeBSD as a hobbyist and professional, I've only
had one technical issue that was never resolved.  Everything else has
been answered to conclusion either on the mailing lists or through
searches (now almost exclusively Google).

In Linux and Windows, you need professional people and paid support
services because there are massive proprietary layers built on top of
the standard bits.  The standard bits are documented, but support for
the proprietary bits is a business model of most of the companies
involved.  It's not a bad thing outright, just not very nice to those
with thin wallets.  I also emmensely enjoy the thought that people who
use Linux and Windows are often in need of professional help while I,
being a FreeBSD user, am beyond help.