Date:      Fri, 2 Jul 1999 17:08:54 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.2-RELEASE Feedback

 |> 3) If I switch the console to 43 or 60 line mode with vidcontrol, "man" and
 |>    other full-screen progs don't automatically pick up the correct number
 |>    of lines like they did in 3.0-RELEASE.  They assume 25-line mode.
 |>
 |>      vidcontrol < /dev/ttyv0 -f 8x8 cp866-8x8
 |>      vidcontrol < /dev/ttyv0 132x43
 |>      vidcontrol < /dev/ttyv1 132x43
 |>      vidcontrol < /dev/ttyv2 132x43
 |>
 |>    I have to fiddle with "stty rows" and hand the console the right number.
 |
 |No, no; just set your TERM variable rigth (cons43 or cons60). You can
 |do this in /etc/ttys (replace cons25 with e.g. cons60) if you set
 |these videomodes at boot time (with allscreen_flags).

I didn't want to have to do this -- as I didn't have to do it on
3.0-RELEASE.  The terminal was smart enough to figure it out.

Kazutaka YOKOTA committed a patch for this last week that fixed it up (in
response to my kern/12420 PR).

 |> 11) When copying directory trees between two IDE drives on the PCI
 |>     bus, the system really dogs down -- emacs takes 15 seconds to come up
 |>     when normally it takes 1 -- didn't do that on 3.0-RELEASE.
 |
 |Hmm, are you sure (that it didn't do that before)? Non-DMA IDE drives
 |are CPU pigs.

Yes, I'm sure.  Oh, these are all DMA IDE drives.  I've had them set up
that way since 3.0-971208-SNAP.

 |> 12) Why do we see lpt0 probes twice:
 |>
 |>     lpt0: <generic printer> on ppbus 0
 |>     lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
 |>     lpt0: <generic printer> on ppbus 0
 |>     lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
 |>
 |>     My kernel config for the new ppbus scheme:
 |>        device          ppc0    at isa? port "0x3BC" tty irq 7
 |>        device          ppc1    at isa? port "0x378" tty
 |>        controller      ppbus0
 |>        device          lpt0    at ppbus?
 |>        device          lpt1    at ppbus?
 |
 |Why do you have two lpt lines?

On occasion, I've had two parallel ports in one machine.

 |I think the lpt driver is autocloning.  Remember that lpt isn't a real
 |hardware device driver any more, just one of several ways of talking to
 |the ppc device.

Hmm.  I'm confused.  /dev/lpt# is the physical device I point /etc/printcap
printer entries too.  So if I hook up two printers, one is lpt0 and the
other is lpt1 AFAIK.

Something is odd, because right now I only have one hardware parallel port
installed.

 |> 13) 3.2-RELEASE still locks the system hard when a file system is
 |>mismounted, just as 3.0-RELEASE did:
 |
 |Only for FAT filesystems. FAT sucks.

True, FAT isn't great, but this fatal FreeBSD bug has nothing to do with
FAT sucking.

 |> 15) /opt/bin/xanim.2.70.1 +Ze +B +CF4 +Av10 -geometry +100+100 fox.mov
 |>     ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libgnumalloc.so.2.0"
 |>
 |>     Something missing from the compat libs.  I pulled it off my 3.0-R
 |>     partition on another disk.
 |
 |I don't think gnumalloc is meant to be in compat. It should have been
 |installed when you installed xanim.

Hmmm.  It was on the 3.0-RELEASE CD:

     > cat bin.?? | tar -tzf - | grep gnumalloc.so.2
     usr/lib/compat/aout/libgnumalloc.so.2.0

So I would have thought it should have been in bindist or a "compat30"
binary distribution on the 3.2-RELEASE CD (since 3.x compatibility seems
more important than 2.x).  However, it's not there:

     > cat bin.?? | tar -tzf - | grep gnumalloc

 |> 16) So, how do I try a splash screen?  Nothing in the FAQ or handbook
 |>     on the CD, and only "pseudo-device   splash" in LINT.  I've got it
 |>     in my kernel config, but no splash.
 |
 |Did you try 'man splash'?

No, I didn't think it'd be that easy :-)

Even after reading it though, I didn't get it going.  It says you can run
this from the loader prompt:

           load kernel
           load -t splash_image_data chuck.bmp
           load splash_bmp

You can't (or I couldn't at least).  "load kernel" goes off and does just
that, never returning to the loader prompt.  So thinking about patching
loader.rc, I followed splash(4)'s directions and tried to consult the
loader.rc(5) man page (to learn what to add where, what not to change,
etc.).  But there is no loader.rc man page.

/boot/* sounds low-enough level that I didn't want to risk modifying it
without knowing exactly what I was doing and the potential consequences
(i.e. how much trouble was it going to be to recover from an error).  I
still didn't know enough at this point, so I never did get the splash
screen going.

Any tips?

Thanks for the reply,

Randall