Date:      Fri, 6 May 2005 20:35:38 +0200
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

Bart Silverstrim writes:

> A) You sent messages to unknown hundreds or thousands of people on the
> mailing list, all of which could have a cached copy of your messages,
> and now wonder about privacy?

I've explained the differences before; perhaps I need to explain them
again.

When you sign up to a mailing list, you implicitly give permission to
distribute your posts to other members of the list.  You do _not_ give
permission to have your posts archived, and you do _not_ give permission
to have your posts published and made accessible to people who are not
on the list.

> B) The archives are searchable and referenced, and you claim you didn't
> know that despite the number of self appointed upper-echelons that
> reply with a curt "Look in the archives" type answer?

It has to be part of the confirmation process.  You have to require that
members accept these terms in order to subscribe.

Do you really think that software companies and major Web sites have
those little check boxes that say "I accept" just for decoration?

> C) Your words are being re-mirrored by being embedded inside other
> posts that REPLY to your messages.  You honestly think that a volunteer
> is going to delete your messages AND all messages referencing your
> name?

You don't need a volunteer, you just need software to do it.  And it's
not hard to write.

> There should be.  We'll call it The Law of Common Sense.

The law of common sense says that you don't agree to anything that isn't
in writing and does not proceed _inevitably_ from that to which you
agree.  Archives and publication are not inevitable consequences of
being on a mailing list, therefore you must agree to them explicitly.

> None on the list that I know of is actively digging into your
> background or prying more secrets from you regarding your personal
> information ...

What makes you think they would notify you if they were?

> The way the Internet works isn't a secret.

This policy is not "the way the Internet works."

--
Anthony