Date:      Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:05:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Philip Hallstrom <freebsd@philip.pjkh.com>
To:        Eric Schuele <e.schuele@computer.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Determining what a port will install... (more than pretty-print-*)

> Is there a way to determine exactly what a particular port will install on my
> machine?
>
> Doing a `make pretty-print-run-depends-list` will show me all of its
> requirements... but I am interested in the difference between its
> requirements and what I already have on my machine.  If I have 7 out of the
> 10 requirements.... I would like the remaining 3 listed for me.
>
> Is there something in place which provides this?

The "portupgrade" port can do this.  Something like...

portupgrade -n -Rr someport

The -n tells it not to do anything, just show you what it would do.

The -r and -R tell it to upgrade any dependencies in both directions.

At the end it will print out a little summary of what ports it needs to
upgrade, what needs installed, and what you've already got.

-philip