Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 17:28:41 -0800
From:      Ken Marx <kmarx@bigshed.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   gdb lineno ambiguity

Hi,

I'm on 3.2-RELEASE. Gdb sometimes gives me this complaint
when trying to specify line numbers for breakpoints and such:

---------------<snip>
(gdb) l 292
Internal: static symbol `292' found in copyToRam.cpp psymtab but not in symtab.
292 may be an inlined function, or may be a template function
(if a template, try specifying an instantiation: 292<type>).
---------------<snip>

It doesn't occur with all line numbers, even sometime ones
that are quite close in value to the 'offending' ones.
If I do an nm -C -a .../copyToRam.o I don't see any such symbols.

Aside from fully qualify the line number using filename:lineno,
does anyone know how I can avoid this? It's quite annoying.
Maybe some way to have the compiler mangle these symbol values to
not look like integers? Seems more like gdb just getting confused
about something...

Short of that, some kind of explanation for this behavior
might be some sorry comfort.

thanks!
k.

--
Ken Marx, kmarx@bigshed.com
We all agree that we must stand pat and manage the care and feeding of the