Date:      Fri, 04 Oct 2002 15:42:01 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Marco Beishuizen <mbeis@wxs.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: burncd error

> Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 00:29:48 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Marco Beishuizen <mbeis@wxs.nl>
> Sender: mbeis@yokozuna.bsd
>
> Thanks! It worked great. I have one remark though: the option
> "-allow-lower-case" wasn't recognised by mkisofs. Looking at the manpage
> it should be "-allow-lowercase". :-) But this was of course one of those
> days...

I really should have done a cut and paste on the command or pulled in
my shell script that runs mkisofs, but it's on a different system and
it seemed easier to just type it in.

> Eventually, I didn't use the option "-allow-lowercase", but the cd has no
> problems of using lowercase characters. All files I copied to the cd show
> up like the way they appear in FreeBSD.

I suspected that both -allow-lowercase and -allow-multidot were
implicit in -r, but I had never actually tried it.

> The remarkable thing was actually, that when I used the wrong option,
> mkisofs says it doesn't recognise the option, quits the program, and
> returns to the prompt in my xterm, but now my xterm shows up with
> unrecognisable characters (normally for me: root@hostname, now something
>
> Did I hit a bug?

Could you have wound up using a different character set? If you do a
hard reset on the xterm, does it start working right? Do characters
echo correctly? I'll admit that I have never seen this.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)