Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 14:12:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@genome.Stanford.EDU>
To:        gpalmer@westhill.cdrom.com
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: undump program

On Mon, 18 Dec 1995 gpalmer@westhill.cdrom.com wrote:

> Terry Lambert wrote in message ID
> <199512182105.OAA12378@phaeton.artisoft.com>:
> > What is it you want?  Checkpoint/restart?  There are packages for
> > that, but they certainly don't involve undumping core files.
>
> Check SunOS... there is an undump type program (forget it's name)
> which allows you to take something like perl or (AFAIR) smalltalk, and
> run them with a piece of code to compile. Once compiled, the compiled
> code calls a fn which causes a core dump. You can then undump this to
> get the ``pre-compiled'' version of the code.
>
> If memory serves, this is how LaTeX for SPARC is produced (you run TeX
> with latex.tex loaded or whatever, and then dump it).
>
> Gary

Yes, that's the undump program I want.  Thanks.  I found it on SunOS, but
it would be great if I can get it for FreeBSD.  (I don't have the sources)

Here's the whole rationale for what I want to do:
1) Take a long perl program
2) Intentionally dump the perl program to become an executable binary
3) Run the binary at a later time