Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 10:50:43 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Stas Kisel <stas@sonet.crimea.ua>
To:        bmilekic@dsuper.net, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Cc:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, stas@sonet.crimea.ua
Subject:   Re: mbuf shortage situations (followup)

> From wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu Mon Sep 13 22:39:37 1999
> > 	I'm also aware of the possiblity of some people not liking the
> > fact that we tsleep() forever (e.g. tsleep(x,x,x,0)).
>
> I don't have any problem with sleeping forever -- but I am concerned
> about the possibility of deadlock, especially when client-NFS is
> involved.  If the problem just moves around and has harder-to-recover
> symptoms, the change isn't helping.

IMHO merely sleeping can't help if we deal with a DoS. Instead of
sleeping, kernel should find out where all kernel memory is wasted
and free some memory (and, probably, remove/log reason). And, partially,
this mechanism is already implemented in ip_drain() and tp_drain().

--
Stas Kisel. UNIX, security, C, TCP/IP, Web. UNIX - the best adventure game
http://www.tekmetrics.com/transcript.shtml?pid=20053 http://www.crimea.edu