Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 2012 07:16:43 -0300
From:      H <hm@hm.net.br>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
Cc:        Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD9 and the sheer number of problem reports

Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sunday 26 February 2012 15:55:17 H wrote:
>> Mark Felder wrote:
>>> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 12:25:01 -0600, Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
>>> wrote:
>>
>> that is all understandable but the point should not be forgotten
>>
>> I mean certainly -RELEASE __is__ the production release
>
> there is not the production release here. There are always at least
> two.

whatever, the question is not the how many, it is the word BETA or PRE
change to RELEASE and we should not turn this into some word-fiddling

important is maintain the understanding for that word, because there
are lot of not_developer_people out

what seems forgotten is what is here in the second part:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/lessons-learned.html

what developers understand, mean or think does not matter, the _user_
should be able to understand and believe in this word RELEASE,  what
IMO is pretty clear

so please do not argument with me or anybody else, it is merely a
pretty fair and neutral opinion about RELEASE meaning

backed on what is stated on the page above, it seems to be the
procedure, which eventually needs revision, because we humans always
will fail somewhere

>> so, few testers is no excuse, still more when that is a known
>> issue, so a bigger time frame would be the solution until the
>> var _seemed_stable change into _is_stable
>
> Stable has here a different meaning. It just means that nothing
> will change at the interfaces anymore as long the error is not
> hidden there. 5.2 and 5.21 was such an example if I remember
> right.
>>
>> of course, that is not always so easy but also think of side
>> effects, few_testers could change into still_less when FreeBSD
>> prove to have unstable releases
>
> No matter what effort you put into testing, you can never achieve
> the robustness of an older release. I still have 7.4 running on
> one. This can stay until next year.
>
> So, why do you want to run the latest release on an important
> machine? You can, but you are not in a position to complain then.
>
> Erich

- --