Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 13:15:21 +1100
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sig11 failures only with xwindows apps

On Sun, Nov 29, 1998 at 11:42:45AM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Sunday, 29 November 1998 at 11:26:09 +1100, jonathan michaels wrote:
> > hello all,
> >
> > i've been using freebsd for several years now and have just started to use
> > xfree86 as my "gui interface".
> >
> > my network has an i486dx33 with 16 mb and adaptec-1542b, this is used
> > primarily as teh gateway/router host from which i network here. this is
> > stable and likes freebsd, of teh two 'working hosts', both intel powered
> > machines,
> >
> > p5-133, pci buslogic bt-958, 64 mb dram, smc pci 10 mb nic, stb powergraph
> > p6-180, pci adaptec aha-2940, 128 mb dram, smc 10-100 mb nic, matrox mil2
> >
> > both of these machines run textmode (cli) flawlessly, but when i go to x
> > windows, i start to get sig 11 failures, not just teh big things like andrew
> > file systems apps, xemacs, but running an xterm with ee will core and drop
> > dead. x keeps running, but i have a hard disk littered with little piles of
> > core droppings .. grin
> >
> > i've torn down and rebuilt both machines several times and can find noting
> > wrong with either. all components work flawlessly, in teh 'suspect' chassis,
> > as well as in other assemblies. i know that hardware ages and gets less
> > stable, but teh p6 is a new supermicro (p6sne motherboard) with guarenteed to
> > run unixware, novell, nt, etc operating systems. when returned to supplier it
> > would perform flawlessly, both nt and unixware running a web server mix
> > application suite.
> >
> > ummmm. help please. if it explaines anyting, i set all teh accounts here as
> > default class .. maybe i should be allocating more resources to x window
> > enabled accounts, yes, if so how much ? i am not really familiar with x and
> > wouldn't know where to start.
>
> The obvious explanation is ``hardware''.  Don't be concerned with the

yes, but after living some 2 years with this, i;m not so sure anymore.

> fact it's a brand new machine, it happens there too.  Could be a bad
> memory chip, could be incorrectly set BIOS chipset timing parameters.

maybe, but all the hardware here is 'industry standard' top shelf, high
quality, i don;t have teh resources to be constantly replaceing bits as they
fail .. i just by teh best and sit on teh warrenty queue if anything goes
wrong. in teh 12 years i've been buy and using hardware i've only ever had two
warrenty claims, both sort of my own fault.

i suppose what i'm saying is that the hardware in question is not a junkbox
recycled parts assembly. this is what makes teh whole situation so annoying.

> If, on the other hand, you can find a reproducible situation, we
> should take a look at the entrails.

depends on what you mean by 'reproducable situation' while i cannot guraentee
a particular session will core, if i;m runing xfree86 i know that someting
will core sooner rether than latter. it is as if x has beome 'nervious'.

about the only app that reliably will not run anymore is teh andrew port. it
just cores, sig11 on startup and that is it. i've still got it on teh hard
disk i'll dig it up and report back.

part of teh resason i've embarked on this course, is that x11 is becoming teh
'way to fly' and i'm getting interested in web applications,as well as
building an 'internet and web access' turnkey solution for disabled people
with neurologically dsyfunctional fine motor control and legally poor eyesight.

in short i have to make x11 work, and this means find out why all this happens,
i cannot afford to throw more hardware at this problem. i mean i'd like a dec
alpha and 500 mb dram, but nobody is going to give me one nor a hitachi 21
inch monitor .. so i make do with what i have. and, grumble about x11, grin.

with thanks,

regards

jonathan