Date:      Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:22:35 -0400
From:      Josh Endries <jendries@pragmeta.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATA and SATA problems (timeout/reset)

Hey everyone,

I hope this goes through. For some reason I get bounces saying it can't reverse
my IP, though I can and external DNS servers I try can. :/

I'm having major issues getting FreeBSD to install on a server. It's been a
couple weeks now and nothing I've tried has helped. The server in question used
to be running 4-STABLE until I upgraded it to 5-STABLE, which is when I started
getting ATAPI errors:

ata1-master FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out

The only ATA/IDE device plugged in is a CD-ROM, which was in secondary master
position when this error happened. I've moved it around and nothing helps, it
just changes the source of the problem (ata0-master, etc.). The system also has
a 3ware SATA RAID PCI card in it, twa0, which it is booting from. Both the
system BIOS and 3ware firmware is fresh. After three of the above errors it
gives up I guess and then I get these:

twa0: Request timed out!
twa0: Resetting controller
twa0: INFO: 0x04 0x005e Cache synchronized after power fail
twa0: INFO: 0x04 0x0001 Controller reset occurred
twa0: Controller reset done!

I get the same thing with the latest 6 ISO (beta 1?).

I have an almost identical system that is working just fine with 5-STABLE. The
only difference is that machine has a LSI MegaRAID SCSI card also. I had these
problems initially with that machine, but they just disappeared and it's
running/rebooting fine, which worries me a bit. I think I booted into safe mode
and cvsuped, custom kernel, and it started working, but I tried that with the
new machine (same kernel config file) and it didn't have the same effect. I've
scoured through the BIOSes and they're set up identically. It isn't sporadic
either, I get the errors every single time, just after the "timecounters tick
at 1msec" line (or whatever it is, I forget).

Anyway I found some into online about mkIII patches and applied those and now I
just get different errors. I don't remember specifically what they were, I can
reinstall again and get them, but it was similar, timeout setting transferrate
(or tranfer mode), then it said "danger will robinson" and started mixing in
the above twa0 errors.

Booting normally doesn't work at all, neither does single-user mode. The only
way I can get in (to use and/or initially install) is using safe mode. I added
an option to the menu Safer Mode to try and find out what difference was
causing it but tried with/without the ATA/DMA, APIC, and ACPI lines
individually and it didn't change anything. I've tried GENERIC and SMP (they
are DP machines) and various kernel changes, stripping it bare, disabling DMS
and ACPI in /boot/loader.conf...nothing helped. I turned off DMA in the BIOS,
changed the transfer speed (PIO, standard, etc.) and just about every other
thing I could think of.

I just successfully installed 4.11 and it boots fine, no errors whatsoever. I
was wondering if it's a hardware problem, but everything seems to run fine on
the other 5.x machine (after the problems went away :/) and this 4.x one, so
I'm not sure.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do to troubleshoot or (hopefully) fix this? I'd
much rather run 5 on it than 4, but if all else fails I guess I'm stuck with
what works.

Thanks,
Josh