Date:      Wed, 01 Nov 1995 14:32:29 GMT
From:      d_burr@ix.netcom.com (Donald Burr)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is there a speech synthesizer for FreeBSD 2.0.5?

I'm running FreeBSD 2.0.5 and was wondering if there's a package or
port out there that can synthesize speech and output it through the
soundcard?  I.e. if I feed the program a file name or text on standard
input, it will speak it.  The voice doesn't have to be English-like at
all -- in fact, for my purposes, a computer/robot-like voice would
really sound cool.  So, does anyone know of a program that can do
this?  I didn't really see anything on my CDROM that looked promising.
I have programs for Linux, but suspect that the sound drivers (even
though they're both written by the same person) are probably vastly
incompatible, and porting it would be a nightmare.

--
Donald Burr ** U.S. Mail: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212
Tel: (805) 564-1871 ** FAX: (805) 564-2315 ** Email: d_burr@ix.netcom.com