Date:      Tue, 9 Aug 2016 13:07:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        Martin Schroeder <mschroeder@vfemail.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update and portsnap users still at risk of compromise

Timely update via Hackernews:

  <hardenedbsd.org/article/shawn-webb/2016-08-07/vulnerability-update-libarchive>

Note in particular:

  "FreeBSD is still vulnerable to the portsnap, freebsd-update, bspatch,
  and libarchive vulnerabilities."

Not sure why the portsec team has not commented or published an advisory
(possibly because the freebsd list spam filters are so bad that
subscriptions are being blocked) but from where I sit it seems that
those exposed should consider:

  cd /usr/ports
  svn{lite} co https://svn.FreeBSD.org/ports/head /usr/ports
  make index
  rm -rf /usr/sbin/portsnap /var/db/portsnap/*

I'd also be interested in hearing from hardenedbsd users regarding
the pros and cons of cutting over to that distribution.

Roger