Date:      Sun, 8 Feb 2004 20:03:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dru <dlavigne6@sympatico.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   KDE3

Okay, who can help an unhappy camper with their KDE3 on 5-1 Release?

After 2 days of unsuccessful portupgrading from KDE2 to KDE3, I decided to
go the packages route. About that time, I discovered the upgrade FAQ for
FreeBSD/KDE which said to get rid of all KDE2 and qt2 cruft. I did. I then
installed the kdebase and dependency packages from fruitsalad.org.

When that didn't work, I figured, heh, I have too many ports installed
anyways. Time for a clean sweep. I uninstalled everything (except pine and
fetchmail and lynx and XFree86-4).

Installed kdebase, kdelibs and necessary dependencies, all as packages.

When I "startx", I start with this error:

"Could not start kdeinit. Check your installation". That one seems to be
popular according to Google, but no solutions yet. So, I commented out that
section in /usr/local/bin/kdeinit. Now I'm back to the same error message
I was at three days ago:

ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1

Can't blame it on an old dependency anymore, since I uninstalled pretty
near everything. Any suggestions anyone?

Dru