Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 13:27:57 -0400
From:      Paul Chvostek <paul@it.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCCARD ethernet - "Can't map in cis", "driver allocation failed"

Hiya.

A search of the mailing lists tells me that this question gets asked
*way* more often than it gets answered.  ;)

I'm trying to use a "Xircom" "CreditCard Ethernet+Modem II".  Just the
Ethernet part; I don't need the modem at this stage.  At boot time and
whenever the card gets inserted, pccardd gives me the error:

xe1: xe Probing
xe1: Can't map in cis
Apr 7 01:46:18 foo pccardd[46] driver allocation failed for Xircom(CreditCard Ethernet+Modem II): Device not configured

Using a similar card as an example, I've created a pccard.conf entry
whose essential bits are:

card "Xircom" "CreditCard Ethernet+Modem II"
        config  0x1 "xe0" ?
        insert  /etc/pccard_ether $device
        remove  /sbin/ifconfig $device delete

I've put an xe0 in my kernel, tried playing with different IRQs, to no
avail.  MS Windows reports io addresses of 02f8-02ff and 1000-101f, and
irq 9, then goes on with memory addresses 02008000-02008fff and
02004000-02007fff.  MS Windows reports the card as "CEM2", and I notice
that `pccardc dumpcis` includes "Addit. info = [CEM2],[1.00]" in Tuple
#3.  I don't know ths significance of most of this.

I'm not sure what some of these configuration elements are, and they're
not documented in the man pages or handbook (or the FAQ or the mailing
list archives).  For example, what's does the "0x1" mean on the config
line?  What's the significance of the references to "xe1" when I don't
already have an xe0 in the system?  Has anyone used one of these before?

Can anybody lend me a clue?

Thanks.  :)

--
  Paul Chvostek                                            <paul@it.ca>

  To larger sight the rim of shadow is the line of light.
  (Thomas William Parsons)