Date:      Sat, 15 Oct 2016 12:13:21 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CURRENT [r307305]: Crashing ZFS related?

--Sig_/+SUJ1QPoH6T=FE/KUCmz/LZ

Am Sat, 15 Oct 2016 10:22:42 +0200
"O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de> schrieb:

> Am Fri, 14 Oct 2016 10:48:33 +0200
> "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de> schrieb:
>=20
> > Systems I updated to recent CURRENT start crashing spontaneously.
> >=20
> > recent crashing system is on
> > 12.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #11 r307305: Fri Oct 14 08:37:59 CEST=
 2016
> >=20
> > other (no access since it is remote and not accessible until later the =
day) has
> > been updated ~ 12 hours ago and it is alos rebooting/crashing without a=
ny
> > warnings. Can be triggered on heavy load.
> >=20
> > Only system with r307263 and stable so far is an older two-socket XEON
> > Core2Duao based machine, all crashing boxes have CPUs newer or equal th=
an
> > IvyBridge.
> >=20
> > Does anyone also see these crashes? I tried to compile a debug kernel o=
n one
> > host, but that's the remote machine I have access to later, it failed c=
ompiling
> > the kernel - under load it crashed often. After ZFS scrubbing kickied i=
n, it
> > vanished from the net ;-/
> >=20
> > kind regards,
> > oh
rg" =20
>=20
> Still 307341 is crashing undpredicted ( FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #5 r307341: =
Sat Oct 15
> 09:36:16 CEST 2016).
>=20
> I'm back to r307157, which seems to be "stable".
>=20

Seems, I'm the only one at the moment having those problems :-(

I now have a laptop avalable and start putting debugging options into the k=
ernel. But the
laptop, so far, doesn't expose the problems of crashes  described above. Th=
e laptop is
the only system so far without ZFS!

The most frequent crashing box is a CURRENT server with the largest ZFS vol=
ume. When on
most recent CURRENT (>r307157, see above), starting a scrubbing on a RAIDZ =
volume with ~
12 TB brutto size AND running a poudriere job, triggers the crash every 1 -=
 18 minutes.
Another box with only /home as ZFS volume on a dedicated hdd crashes after =
minutes or
hours. A laptop, also CURRENT (now at r307349) without ZFS is working stabl=
e as long as I
do not pull the LAN wire (a problem I described also in the list, I try to =
capture the
screen when crashing right now).

--Sig_/+SUJ1QPoH6T=FE/KUCmz/LZ

--Sig_/+SUJ1QPoH6T=FE/KUCmz/LZ--