Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2007 17:17:33 -0500
From:      "Matt LaPlante" <cyberdog3k@gmail.com>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Rob <bitabyss@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Andrew Falanga <af300wsm@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Suggestions please for what POP or IMAP servers to use

On Dec 14, 2007 11:45 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> wrote:

> [...]

You've effectively described dovecot here.  Its codebase is perhaps
designed to be very strict, however the same codebase also includes
configurable 'workarounds' (enabled by default in many distros) for
clients that are not up to spec.  They're trivial to toggle and well
documented.

So, this meets both criteria that it will "just work" with clients
now, and the clients themselves could theoretically (good luck with
Outlook) fix their code in the future.  As far as I'm concerned, it's
a fairly ideal environment, and I'm glad the developer has gone to the
trouble to 1) stick to standards in the core code and 2) made a point
of documenting and providing workarounds for buggy clients.

I personally use dovecot (+postfix) with great success.  Dovecot is
modern, featureful, well documented, and its SASL impementation is
particularly useful with postfix.  I've had no difficulty with clients
not being able to connect.