Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 12:33:46 +1300
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Adam Nealis <adamn@csl.com>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vinum - How long does it take to perform operation X?

On Friday, 15 October 1999 at 17:02:56 +0100, Adam Nealis wrote:
> 3.3-STABLE (as per a cvsup and update from 14 October).
>
> Just starting out with vinum, I've read vinum(4) and vinum(8).
>
> I'm trying to create a mirrored volume of 2 x 9GB drives.
>
> These drives are /dev/da1s1e and /dev/da2s1e, and are
> pristine, newfs'd volumes.

You shouldn't be able to newfs a Vinum drive.  Vinum requires
partitions of type vinum, newfs requires partitions of type 4.2BSD.

> I don't mount them on boot either, as I quickly discovered vinum
> dumps core if you try to operate on mount devices.

If you get any kind of dump from Vinum, I want to know about it.

> Looking at vinum(8), in "HOW TO SET UP VINUM" section 2, I
> created a config file /etc/vinum.cf containing
>
> drive d1 device /dev/da2e
> drive d2 device /dev/da3e
>  volume mirror
>    plex org concat
>       sd length 10m drive d1
>    plex org concat
>       sd length 10m drive d2
>
> The 10m is just to avoid waiting an age to find out what happens.

So far, so good.

> I do
>
> bash 2.03# vinum create -v /etc/vinum.cf
>    1: drive d1 device /dev/da2e
>
> Well, after about 30 minutes, I ^C'd this as nothing more
> had happened.

You can do this as soon as disk activity stops, typically about 10
seconds.

> I decided to clear out any cruft with
>
> bash 2.03# vinum resetconfig
>
> Enter Text -> NO FUTURE
>
> and it's been over an hour and the command doesn't seem to have
> completed.

That should be just about instantaneous.

> What's happening?

Looks like you have a hang.

> I don't understand why this is taking so long.  I'm becoming
> confused!

I haven't seen this before.  What does 'ps lawx' say?  Output to a
file and then attach it.

After that, reboot your machine and try the 'vinum create' again.  If
it hangs, I'd like to see the output of 'ps lawx' at that point.

Greg