Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2005 20:06:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Epson Stylus C84 printer setup

At Wed, 5 Jan 2005 it looks like Miguel Mendez composed:

> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 21:10:46 -0800
> "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> A bit OT but wanted to throw my $0.02 anyway...
>
> > CUPS is unnecessary.  unnecessary software complicates the machine
> > and makes it harder to troubleshoot.  I don't personally care much
> > for this.
>
> I don't understand where all this animosity against CUPS comes from, but
> it's not the first time I've seen people flaming against it. If you
> don't like it, don't use it. CUPS is very easy to troubleshoot, perhaps
> you didn't bother reading the man pages. Enable debugging log mode and
> read the logs, all the info is there.
>
> Setting up my USB laserprinter takes 10 seconds with CUPS. Drop the ppd
> file, point the browser at localhost:631 and configure the printer.
> Done. The computer is a tool to get the job done, and most people have
> better things to do than spend more time than needed setting up their
> printer. It's also worth mentioning that Samba 3.x and CUPS integreate
> seamlessly.

I must chime in here.

I was bragging about how, on the first try, I got CUPS to print
with "Solaris-8 (x86)" from my Netscape browser.

I don't want to start a flame war but anyone who's tried to get
"ink jet" printers to work _first_try_ on Solaris(x86) will
probably be nodding their heads in agreement.

NOW, I also totally concur with KIS[s] and the reasons for not
getting too heavy into overhead.  Hell, I still prefer PINE as
my MUA just because it was the first one I ever used on Unix.

Namaste

--
Bill Schoolcraft