Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2007 11:52:18 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I like Ubuntu

Paul Butler wrote:
> Message: 17
> Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:21:43 -0500
> From: "Claude Menski" <claude.menski@gmail.com>
> Subject: I like Ubuntu
> To: "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
>
> Why is freebsd better then ubuntu?
>
> I find Ubuntu to be a great "distro" if your goal is to get a great
> open-source desktop system up and running quickly, that is easy to
> update (albeit not with the latest available applications) and
> relatively bug-free.  If you yourself are not able to spend hands-on
> time maintaining the system (i.e. for aging parents, in-laws, non-techie
> friends) it is a good choice.  Their use of Debian's apt technology is
> brilliant.  Their user/developer community is wonderful.
>
> If, however, heart-stopping speed appeals to you, you want intelligently
> planned technology with the latest stable applications, you are
> operating web servers, or you just plain want to get expertise in real
> Unix then there is nothing like FreeBSD.
>
> Merely by living with FreeBSD for a year or two on your desktop or
> laptop, you will really deepen your understanding of unix-derived
> systems in a way which is not possible with Linux.  This may be very
> helpful if you either have or contemplate a career in IT.
>
> Paul Butler

My personal take on Ubuntu is that it was a wise decision by some to
market the Linux distro to disenchanted Windows users -- by having KDE
be the default DE it makes people feel more at home than having to
choose something like, say, Enlightenment, Fluxbox, FVWM2, or good old
TWM. The problem is that it's aimed primarily at people trying to test
out Linux and transition from Windows, and in many cases tends to choose
the "best" option for you, in terms of partitioning your disk, running
certain apps, etc from what I've heard and read from others, which is
bad for power users.

Also, it's Linux-based so documentation in terms of manpages are most
likely non-existent, like with Gentoo Linux.

Just as a followup to the subject line: I like FreeBSD because of its
solid nature and good system architecture.

Cheers,
-Garrett