Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:23:14 -0400
From:      "Joe Gleason" <clash@tasam.com>
To:        <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Defect Lists + camcontrol commands

Please excuse my ignorance on the topic of scsi stuff, but I would like to
avoid learning the hard way. ;-)

I ran:
camcontrol defects da0 -f phys -G
and the result was "Got 0 defects."

Then I run:
camcontrol defects da0 -f phys -P
and the result was "Got 428 defects:"
(I left out the list of defects because it is probably not important)

It is my understanding that this is completely normal, because the -G shows
that there are no new defects and the 428 defects that are there were there
when the drive was in the factory.  It this correct?

Is this a normal number of defects?

On a slightly diffrent tangent:

I am aware that it is possible to pass commands to scsi devices for certain
cool things.  I have a command (thanks to Kenneth Merry a while ago) that
shows me the current drive temp from it's internal probes:

camcontrol cmd -n da -u 0 -c "4D 0 76 0 0 0 0 0 20 0" -i 32 "s9 i1"

Is there anywhere I can find a list of such command strings and what they
do? (other than the ones in the camcontrol man page)
Are they generally vendor specific?

Joe Gleason
Tasam