Date:      Sat, 19 Sep 1998 11:36:49 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Dynamic DNS

I've been reading up on Dynamic DNS, which is useful if you have a dynamic
IP but still want to run a website, FTP server, mail server, etc. Many
people using ADSL or cable modems have IP addresses assigned via DHCP.
Dynamic DNS, in simple terms, allows you to update your DNS entries
dynamically.  When you get a new IP, you update the DNS entries.  Not
perfect.  But close.

I've been looking at a few setups.  Most assign you a domain name which
hangs off their domain (for examples, see http://detour.net/,
http://www.ml.org/, etc).  A few (http://www.ddns.org/,
http://www.dnswiz.com/index.htm, https://dyndns.com/) allow you to host
your own domain.

To my knowledge, the public DNS (http://soa.granitecanyon.com/) doesn't
provide a dynamic service but I see no reason why you couldn't write code
to do it for you.

What dynamic DNS services have you used?  Any recommendations?

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited