Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:47:21 -0800
From:      "Patrick Soltani" <psoltani@ultradns.com>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <patrick@esoltani.com>
Subject:   panic: icmp_error: bad length

Hi,

I have dozen production FreeBSD firewalls that been working for a year =
and some, without any problems under heavy utilization. As a matter of =
upkeep/security, I cvsup them and go thru the buildworld, kernel, =
mergemaster, etc; haven't had much problem.

In the last couple of months, upgraded to 4.6 and 4.7 using RELENG_4 =
with again no errors, however, now under a light smurf attack, I get:

panic: icmp_error: bad length

syncing disks... 1
done
Uptime: 1h12m58s
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
Rebooting...

I have found couple of posting on FreeBSD sites, google, dogpile, etc =
pointing to a patch for netinet/ip_icmp.c which seems to have been =
incorporated into the 4.6 tree; not sure though.

I have tried building the kernel with RELENG_4_7 to no avail still =
panics.=20
Also tried to down rev the kernel to 4.4, 4.5 using the kernel file on =
the same machine that I had saved prior to upgrade, which is holding up =
better, but still panics frequently.

Hardware: Dell PowerEdge 350, 2 built-in Intel nic cards, 256 meg of ram =
and only doing ipfw.=20
The kernel is built with options BRIDGE.  Don't know what other info you =
might be interested.

Deeply appreciate any help or info.=20

Regards,
Patrick Soltani