Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 1998 15:19:07 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@nebula.tbe.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM 3480 tapes and DLT?

In the last episode (Jan 16), David Kelly said:
> Somebody wants to send data to me on an IBM 3480 tape. I'm not
> familiar with that model. A bit of web surfing gets matches also
> mentioning TKZ60 tapes. In a dusty corner of my brain, I recall the
> DLT was a modern TK-50.
>
> I have access to DLT tape drives. I don't have my hands on a 3480
> tape. Any chance a DLT drive will read a 3480?

Nope.  Although the DLT and 3480 carts are about the same size and are
one-reel units, they are very different, both physically in how the
tape is unspooled, and how the data's written on the tape.

If someone wants to send you a 3480 tape, chances are it's a mainframe
shop; They use 9-track tapes and 3480/3490/3490e's almost exclusively
(we're a data processing company and handle a couple dozen of each type
of tape a day, from many different clients).

If the owner of the 3480 has access to a PC and a modem, see if they
can zip the file and send it to you electronically; 3480's have a max
native capacity of only 220 MB.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com