Date:      Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:48:54 +0200
From:      Piotr Baranowski <korpuskularny@o2.pl>
To:        FreeBSD-question <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   hang-up's on clean FreeBSD 5.4 on compilation

Hello

I have posted before, about my problems with Kernel compilation.
Now it's bigger problem ;-)

I still can't compile the kernel.

Now i reinstalled FreeBSD 5.4, totally clean download.
It's just for education/fun, so i can do that.. for now.

I choosed Standard install, Devel distribution, and installed linux
base.
One additional package: CVSup.
Nothing more, nothing less.

After installation, i used CVSup to get newest source [ src-all ].
Then i ran:
1) cd /usr/src
2) make buildworld

it hanged up my PC..
i tried this several times, and it hangs up in different places,
always on 'cc' command.

Maybe it's something with my memory?

Now i'm DLing release CDs, maybe it's something with net install,
wrong packages, or something.

Do i have to configure 'make' in some way before compiling anything?

Everything seems to be ok, but it just don't work ;-)

> 1) check that you have sources. reinstall sources from CD or recvsup.
> 2) check that you have correct version of C compiler. Try compile simple
> C program.
> 3) do "rm -fr /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/OWIEC"
> 4) then try second, and correct method

i have sources, i tried to compile mc from ports, it's throwing 'no
such file' errors, i removed OWIEC and tried second method - i had
same errors

> That's wrong.  You are trying to build just a kernel, before a userland
> has been compiled.  Use "make buildworld" and "make buildkernel", unless
> you know exactly what you are doing and why.

Now i know :-)
I tried to 'make buildworld', but it haged my PC, then i now - after
install - i'll try some mem tests.
In most cases i don't know exactly what i'm doing - i'm just learning.

> Hmmm.  You haven't by any chance overwritten the system version of
> make(1) with GNU make, right?

Nope. I did only the Devel without X-server install. Now and then.

> What do you see when you try to run the command:
>
>         # make --version

it returns:
# make --version
make: illegal option -- -
usage: make <blablabla>

I always had bad influence on Unix-like systems ;-)
I tried many different Linux dists: from old RedHat, SuSe to Debian,
Gentoo and Slack.. i always have problems ;-)
But now i'm gonna be tough :-)

TIA
Piotr