Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 2000 21:44:48 -0400
From:      Ping Pan <pingpan@research.bell-labs.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: A new kernel extension to deal with IP option packets

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
>
> > We have designed and developed a new socket protocol family to support
> > IP option packets in BSD. It allows the users to intercept any IP option
> > packet (source routing, router-alert...) from socket interface. So users
> > can play fancy tricks with packets.
>
> Can't we do this already with ipfw and divert sockets? ipfw can already
> match IP packets containing options.

Yes, except that to have a security system, we need to put the IP option
filters to be the *last* ones to check. That could be somewhat tricky
during the filter configuration. Also since filter lookup (for divert)
is quite extensive on several packet fields, I am not sure using the
divert mechanism would give the best performance results.

Regards,

- Ping