Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 09:34:59 +0100
From:      Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>, Phillip Salzman <psalzman@gamefish.pcola.gulf.net>
Cc:        pal <pal@PaLaDiN7.ml.org>, sporkl@ix.netcom.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, osa@freebsd.org.ru
Subject:   Re: SSH 2.0.10 BUG? (!)

On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 09:19:57AM +0100, Harold Gutch wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 08, 1998 at 07:39:14PM -0800, Marc Slemko wrote:
> > On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Phillip Salzman wrote:
> > > make it +s
> >
> > DO NOT.
> >
> > Doing so would quite possibly introduce a major security hole.  Very few
> > daemons are designed to have the setuid bit set, for the simple reason
> > that if they have to be root they are normally already root.
> >
> sshd has to run as root if you want to be able to login as more
> than the user it runs as. What difference should an suid-bit make
> if it belongs to root and it's run by root anyway ? Not that it
> would be of any use, I just don't see how it should do any harm
> or even "indroduce a major security hole".

Sorry, forget this argumentation, I somehow assumed sshd would
only be run once at startup and that was it.
I guess users can run sshd later on too without any problems and
yes, a suid bit probably will give them more privileges in this
case.

--
bye, logix

<Shabby> Sleep is an abstinence syndrome wich occurs due to lack of caffein.
Wed Mar  4 04:53:33 CET 1998   #unix, ircnet