Date:      Fri, 05 May 2006 12:24:47 +0300
From:      Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
Cc:        "Arne H. Juul" <arnej@pvv.ntnu.no>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jdk15 from update5 sources

Greg Lewis wrote:
> On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 02:52:18PM +0200, Arne H. Juul wrote:
>> For those of us who can't use the diablo binary release for one reason or
>> the other, it's a problem that the BSD patches from eyesbeyond.com use the
>> SCSL sources, since there are many problems in those that are fixed in the
>> various update 1 to 6 releases.
>>
>> Sun has released sources on tiger.dev.java.net for update 3, 4, and 5 (but
>> not update 6, at least not yet).  These are under the JIUL license which
>> seems to be more permissive than SCSL (too much legalese for me to say for
>> sure).
>>
>> So I've downloaded the update 5 sources and applied the
>> bsd-jdk15-patches-3.tar.bz2 (with some rejects).  Then I've fixed the
>> issues with rejected patches and done some changes based on the changes
>> between SCSL sources and update 5 sources (see attached patch).
>>
>> The result works pretty well for me when compiled on FreeBSD 4.x for
>> running standalone java applications; I have no idea if it works for
>> webstart, or browser plugins, or as a basis for java frameworks. But maybe
>> somebody else may find it useful to go this route; I still get the
>> occasional crash deep inside the garbage collection parts of the VM but at
>> least this is much more stable than the version I get from compiling
>> ports/jdk the usual way.
>
> Thats kinda cool.  Thanks for doing this :).

Indeed!

> One general question, since I haven't had time to compare them, why the
> JIUL rather than the JRL?  Do others have comments on the differences
> between the two?

IANAL of course, but the two licenses mainly seem to differ in the
intended use of the software. JRL-licensed software cannot be used for
commercial purposes, while JIUL-licensed software does not have such a
restriction. So, for example, if you are planning on using the software
on amd64 servers for web hosting, you can do it with JIUL only. Both
permit sharing the modified source code to other licensees of the
respective license and both claim that you are not tainted after
studying their source code.

JRL:
----
[...]
"Research Use" means research, evaluation, or development for the
purpose of advancing knowledge, teaching, learning, or customizing the
Technology or Modifications for personal use. Research Use expressly
excludes use or distribution for direct or indirect commercial
(including strategic) gain or advantage.
[...]
A.    License Grant. Subject to the conditions contained herein, Sun
grants to You a non-exclusive, non-transferable, worldwide, and
royalty-free license to do the following for Your Research Use only:

1.    Reproduce, create Modifications of,  and use the Technology
alone, or with Modifications;

2.    Share source code of the Technology alone, or with
Modifications, with other Licensees; and
[...]

JIUL:
-----
[...]
"Internal Use" means internal use by Your employees or
agents solely within Your business or organization (a) to
support Your internal applications or (b) to support those
applications that are available to and used by Your
customers at Your place of business or on Your website.
Internal Use expressly excludes distribution of the
Technology or Modifications outside Your business or
organization.

"Licensee" means You and any other party that has entered
into a version of this License with Sun where such License
is in effect.
[...]
A.  License Grant.  Subject to the conditions contained
herein, Sun grants to You a non-exclusive, non-transferable,
worldwide, and royalty-free license to do the following: (i)
reproduce, create Modifications of, and use the Technology,
either alone or with Modifications, in all cases for Your
Internal Use only; and (ii) conditioned upon Your compliance
with Section III.G, share the Technology and Your
Modifications, in source code form only, with other
Licensees for use only under their License. In the case of
(ii), You hereby grant to such Licensees the same rights in
Your Modifications as Sun grants in the Technology under
this License.
[...]

Cheers,

Panagiotis