Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 1994 11:37:47 -0500
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        OCGRP@aol.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD installing questions

    Jay> I used the default /dev/mouse.
    Jay> I am using a Microsoft commmpatable mouse on COM1.

/dev/mouse is the bus mouse device.  For a mouse on COM1, use
/dev/tty00 in your XF86Config file.

    Jay> 2.  I have an SMC Ethernet card.  How do I install it?  I
    Jay> have no other devices in my machine.  I tried sticjing it in
    Jay> and on boot-up it gave me a few address conflict messages.

If only operating systems were that simple.  If there are any jumpers
on the card, set them so they don't conflict with any other IRQ, port
addrs, DRQ, what-have-you.  Record your settings.  Set them for the
``ed'' driver in your kernel config file.  Reconfig your kernel.
Build it.  Install it.  Boot it.  Run it.  Then, the fun begins.

--k