Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2002 20:18:23 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        p00r0ne@digitz.org, John Gordon <john.gordon@windriver.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATI Mobility hell

On Monday 31 December 2001 07:06 pm, Mike Poor wrote:

This problem seems a bit surprising to me since a number of us (like me) have
gotten laptops with ATI Mobility Rage chips specifically because it *is*
well-supported under FreeBSD, in contrast to the nVidia chipset that is *not*
well-supported under FreeBSD for reasons of (stupid) intellectual property
requirements on the part of the company involved.

If you use XFree86 4, you can't use xf86config, I don't think, but then again
taking your file from Linux should have worked fine.  Indeed, that's what I
did--got somebody else's Linux config and used it.

What does *not* seem to work with the ATI drivers is to use X
-configure--that locks me up, too.

I have a 1400x1050 display on mine, which I assume you do not, but if you
want I can send you my config file.

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

-------> Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  (let him go home)  <-----------