Date:      Fri, 02 Jul 1999 23:53:10 -0700
From:      Jerry Preeper <preeper@cts.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   shell-init: could not get current directory???

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this and can point me in the
right direction.  Tonite I was woking on my server and removed 3 users from
the web server that had ftponly access.  I removed the domains from the
httpd.conf file, removed their directories, restarted apache, removed their
entries from sendmail and virtusertable, issued a makemap hash
/etc/virtusertable < /etc/virtusertable  and restarted sendmail, removed
the info from named.boot and the associated db. file, then restarted named

I was on a dialup connection and ran top to keep my connection open for
about an hour as a regular user (not su) after I made all of the above
changes.  Then when I came back to work again, I switched to su and started
getting this:

bash-2.01$ su
Password:
shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
directories
su-2.01# pwd
pwd: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories
su-2.01# whoami
job-working-directory: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot
access parent directories
root
su-2.01# cd /var/log
cd_links: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
directories

It seems that when I do a cd command, it goes away, but otherwise anything
I try to do generates messages like this.  What could I have done wrong and
how do I fix it?  I haven't logged out as root yet because I'm afraid if I
do I won't be able to get back in.  Maybe a simple log out will cure it?

Jerry Preeper