Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 00:08:08 +0100
From:      Robin Melville <robmel@innotts.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS hanging in 3.2-STABLE

I searched the mailing list for clues on this with no luck. Running
3.2-STABLE on a variety of garage-sale pentium I and K6 boxes with and
without scsi I almost always get hung and unkillable userland processes
when they are reading writing NFS shares mounted over udp. Mounting -otcp
always works well. Using NFS 2 makes no difference. None of the machines
are using softupdates.

While I'm happy to always use tcp mounts I wonder whether something is
quite badly wrong with the kernel nfs code, or whether I've done something
wrong. I'd be happy to further diagnose the problems if someone would tell
me what they would like me to do.

BTW 3.2-STABLE is turning out to be as robust and excellent as 2.2.8 was in
every other respect.

Best regards

Robin.

Robin Melville, Addiction Information Service
Nottingham Alcohol & Drug Team
Tel:  +44 (0)115 952 9478       Fax:  +44 (0)115 952 9421
work: robmel@nadt.org.uk        home: robmel@innotts.co.uk
Pages: http://www.innotts.co.uk/nadt