Date:      Thu, 15 May 2003 19:48:39 +0100
From:      "Steve" <steve.nash@iee.org>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   5.0 installation on IBM 300PL

I've attempted to install FreeBSD on an IBM 300PL
I've downloaded the 5.0 RELEASE i386 iso images and cut CD's.

I tried booting from CD. This proceeded as far as:

pcib0: slot2 INTD is routed to irq 11
then froze with a block cursor at the beginning of the next line.

I built floppies from the 5.0 RELEASE image to boot from.
kern booted fine then requested mfsroot
mfsroot decompressed and proceeded as far as:
pci_cfgintr: 0:2 INTD routed to irq 3
then froze in the same condition.

I am now dropping back to a 4.7 CD which doesn't appear to have a problem.
I've  reached the sysinstall menu and worked through the disk configuration
so far.

For verification I have booted the 5.0 CD on an IBM Thinkpad A20m.  The CD
seems OK.

So there is something about the particular machine and particular version
that don't like each other!

FYI
Model type 6862-300
Flash EEPROM NVKT58AUK
Boot rev NV41A
BIOS date 07/19/01
RAM 128M
Disk 20G
Pentium2 350MHz

My activity is for self-education only.  I can survive without a solution.

Steve Nash
steve.nash@iee.org