Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 1996 13:22:55 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: xterm termcap definition

Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com> wrote:

> Interesting again.  I just checked, and they do have the entries,
> although 'more' on a Sun doesn't seem to use them.

Which is why I generally use 'more' on a Sun system (and seem to vaguely
remember hacking an option into 'less' at one point to disable the
ti/te string usages)...or at least I've gotten in the habit of using
'more' when I want to avoid that screen save/restore behavior (which
is most of the time) and less otherwise.  I seem to vaguely remember
starting a discussion on this subject on one of the FreeBSD lists
a while back. I think it was in the context of "why the heck is it
doing this with 'less' and I can't see the output because less exited
immediately". Turns out that my basic problem was that I was using a
'xterm' termcap entry garnered from some other OS. I probably made some
silly statement about my trying to add an option somewhere to disable
the whole business, but I just fixed my "problem" by adjusting my
termcap entries, instead.

Basically...it's a personal preference and it ought to be possible for
users to get either behavior without an undue amount of effort.

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org