--4fnylkubg4nkpsqf

On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 02:05:31AM +0100, Jamie Landeg-Jones wrote:
> Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> > 1. Enhance crunchgen(1) to support libc built with LTO.
> > 2. Kick crunchgen(1) to the curb.
> > 3. Other ideas from the community are possible.
> >
> > Does anyone find crunchgen(1) to be truly useful in 2024? If we kick
> > crunchgen(1) to the curb, we need to modify the build system for
> > /rescue binaries.
>=20
> Please note, my response is not considering the security aspects you rais=
e,
> and is only based on the usefulness of /rescue itself.
>=20
> Do you mean get rid of /rescue, or just getting rid of crunchgen producing
> it?

I recognize now that the way I phrased things left room for ambiguity.
I apologize for the ambiguity.

We do indeed want to keep /rescue around. I still have the occasional
use for it, as do many others.

The only thing that would change would be that the applications in
/rescue would be regular statically-linked executables. We would
stop using crunchgen(1) to produce those executables.

>=20
> I've been "rescued" by rescue on more than one location - usually systems
> that won't mount /usr and also have a screwed up lib.
>=20
> I wouldn't want to see a static /rescue disappear, and the size would pro=
bably
> be too large for individual binaries.

There are around 148 files in my 15-CURRENT/amd64 /rescue. The size
would likely baloon quite drastically.

I think I will likely determine the level of effort to fix
crunchgen(1) to work with LTO-ified libc. I might base my decision off
that.

Meanwhile, if anyone else has any info to pass along that could help
in this journey, I would very much appreciate it. This touches bits
that have a lot of history, and this is definitely a blind spot of
mine.

Thanks,

--=20
Shawn Webb
Cofounder / Security Engineer
HardenedBSD

Tor-ified Signal: +1 303-901-1600 / shawn_webb_opsec.50
https://git.hardenedbsd.org/hardenedbsd/pubkeys/-/raw/master/Shawn_Webb/03A=
4CBEBB82EA5A67D9F3853FF2E67A277F8E1FA.pub.asc

--4fnylkubg4nkpsqf

--4fnylkubg4nkpsqf--