Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 2008 18:05:53 +0200
From:      Peter Boosten <peter@boosten.org>
To:        Joey Mingrone <joey@mingrone.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sound card

Joey Mingrone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to determine what sound card a notebook has.  There are
> three relevant dmesg lines below, but looking at freebsd's hardware
> notes, I can't tell whether I should use the snd_ich(4) driver for an
> Intel ICH4 card, the snd_hda(4) driver for an 82801 card or a sigmatel
> card.  Any suggestions?
>

> %cat /var/run/dmesg.boot| grep pcm
> pcm0: <Intel ICH4 (82801DB)> port 0xee00-0xeeff,0xe000-0xe03f mem
> 0xffaff800-0xffaff9ff,0xffaff400-0xffaff4ff irq 4 at device 31.5 on
> pci0
> pcm0: [ITHREAD]
> pcm0: <SigmaTel STAC9750/51 AC97 Codec>

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html

Especially:

If you are not sure which driver to use, you may try to load the
snd_driver module:

# kldload snd_driver

This is a metadriver loading the most common device drivers at once.
This speeds up the search for the correct driver.

Peter
--
http://www.boosten.org