Date:      Fri, 05 May 2006 13:35:26 -0400
From:      Robert Fitzpatrick <lists@webtent.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   removing geom config left over from previous install

Trying to mirror the system using geom on a box with 2 pairs of
identical SCSI drives (2 IBM 9GB drives and 2 Seagate 35GB drives). The
Seagate drives were mirrored with geom under a previous install and I
was trying to mirror the system, when all was not working and I decided
to start all over again. I have tried a few times now with a fresh
install of FreeBSD 6.0 and on the last round, removed and wrote changes
to the disk in the splice setup for all four disks and then restarted
the machine and installation to make sure I had all disks with one slice
of unused space to start. I did, so I proceeded to create all my
partitions on the one IBM da0 drive to mirrored with da1 after install.
The issue is that after loading the mirror, I get what seems to be my
previous devices, how can I get a fresh start? Because this eventually
leads to 'bsdlabel: Geom not found'...right after first boot, I am
following the doc at http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/

files# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da1 bs=512 count=79
79+0 records in
79+0 records out
40448 bytes transferred in 0.015124 secs (2674452 bytes/sec)
files# fdisk -v -B -I /dev/da1
******* Working on device /dev/da1 *******
fdisk: invalid fdisk partition table found
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=1115 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=1115 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Information from DOS bootblock is:
1: sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 63, size 17912412 (8746 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
        end: cyl 90/ head 254/ sector 63
2: <UNUSED>
3: <UNUSED>
4: <UNUSED>
fdisk: Geom not found
files# gmirror label -v -n -b round-robin gm0s1 /dev/da1s1
Metadata value stored on /dev/da1s1.
Done.
files# ls /dev/mirror
ls: /dev/mirror: No such file or directory
files# gmirror load
files# ls /dev/mirror
data            datas1c         gm0             gm0s1
datas1          datas1cc        gm0s1
files# ls -la /dev/mirror
total 1
dr-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel          512 May  5 13:15 .
dr-xr-xr-x  5 root  wheel          512 Dec 31  1969 ..
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 114 May  5 13:07 data
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 124 May  5 13:07 datas1
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 126 May  5 13:07 datas1c
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 128 May  5 13:07 datas1cc